Today in History
What happened on the 15th of September in history?
- 1776 British forces occupy NYC during the American Revolution
- 1789 Dept of Foreign Affairs renamed the Dept of State
- 1821 Costa Rica El Salvador Guatamala Honduras & Nicaragua gain independ
- 1894 Japan defeats China in Battle of Ping Yang.
- 1917 Russia was proclaimed a republic by Alexander Kerensky
- 1935 Nuremberg Laws deprived German Jews of citizenship and made the swastika the official symbol of Nazi Germany.
- 1937 WPA extends the L-Taraval streetcar to the Zoo (at Sloat Blvd)
- 1940 Tide turns in Battle of Britain in WW II RAF beats Luftwaffe.
- 1940 3rd American Football League plays 1st game (Milw. 14 Columbus 2).
- 1947 1st 4 engine jet propelled fighter plane tested Columbus Oh
- 1947 Yanks clinch pennant #15
- 1950 Yankee Johnny Mize hits 3 homers (6th time he has done that)
- 1950 During Korean conflict UN forces land at Inchon in the south
- 1957 Bachelor Father with John Forsythe premiers
- 1957 SF Seals (Pacific Coast League) play their last game.
- 1959 Soviet Premier Khrushchev arrives in US to begin a 13-day visit
- 1963 4 children killed in bombing of a black Baptist church in Birmingham
- 1965 Lost in Space premiers
- 1966 Gemini XI returns to Earth
- 1976 Soyuz 22 carries two cosmonauts into earth orbit for 8 days.
- 1978 Yanks beat Boston 4-0 Guidry wins # 22 Yanks lead 2 1/2 games
- 1981 Intl Peace Day
- 1984 Morocco Showcase opens