Today in History
What happened on the 17th of November in history?
- 1558 Elizabeth I ascends English throne upon death of Queen Mary
- 1734 John Peter Zenger newspaper editor arrested for libel against NY colonial governor; later acquitted
- 1800 Congress held 1st session in Washington
- 1853 Street signs authorized at SF intersections
- 1869 Suez Canal opens
- 1884 Cops arrest John L Sullivan in 2nd round for being "cruel"
- 1913 Panama Canal opens
- 1917 Sculptor August Rodin died in Meudon France
- 1934 Lyndon B Johnson marries Claudia Alta Taylor
- 1940 Green Bay Packers become 1st NFL team to travel by plane
- 1948 Britain's House of Commons voted to nationalize steel industry
- 1956 fullback Jim Brown Syracuse scores 43 pts (NCAA rec) vs. Colgate
- 1962 Dulles Intl Airport outside Wash DC dedicated by Pres Kennedy
- 1968 Heidi bowl-NBC misses Oakland rally to beat Jets 43-32
- 1970 Russia lands unmanned remote-controlled vehicle on Moon
- 1973 Pres Nixon told AP "...people have got to know whether or not their pres is a crook. Well I'm not a crook."
- 1977 Egyptian Pres Sadat formally accepts invitation to visit Israel
- 1982 S Korean boxer Duk Koo Kim was legally declared dead
- 1984 Islanders scored 20 assists against Rangers