Today in History
What happened on the 18th of August in history?
- 1227 Mongol conqueror Genghis Khan died.
- 1587 Virginia Dare 1st child of English parents to be born in America
- 1835 The last of the Pottawatomie Indians leave Chicago
- 1846 US forces led by Gen. Stephen W. Kearney captured Santa Fe NM
- 1868 Pierre Janssan discovers helium in solar spectrum during eclipse
- 1914 Pres Wilson issues Proclamation of Neutrality
- 1920 Tennessee became the 36th state to ratify the 19th Amendment which guarantees the right of all American women to vote.
- 1938 FDR dedicates the Thousand Islands Bridge connecting US & Canada.
- 1954 Asst Sec of Labor James Wilkins became 1st black to attend Cabinet
- 1958 Lolita - by Vladimir Nabokov published.
- 1958 Investigation starts of TV Game show scandal
- 1960 1st photograph bounced off a satellite Cedar Rapids Iowa
- 1963 James Meredith became 1st black graduate from U of Mississippi
- 1976 USSR's Luna 24 softlands on the Moon
- 1982 1st time NYSE tops 100 million figure 132.69 million shares traded
- 1986 Crockett's Tavern opens in Fort Wilderness